September 12, 2006

Traditions.....

Tonight we were kidnapped and brought to main campus for a long standing ritual, The assignment of our colors. Evens get blue and green & Odds get red and Black.

So here's how it goes, they are supposed to run through our dormitory and get us - being that I and other first years students with children - live with the kids - they cannot go running and screaming down our halls. So we had to meet them out there (at least they included us). So we go out on main campus and the Juniors (class) of have "evens" written out with candles on the grass - it's really pretty. We proceed with our introductions to the circle. So now we are officially capped. Capped with the hats that we are to wear to all official ceremonies.

As I stand there with my blue and green dingy turned to the left - we all look on with our big sisters (juniors) to the words of our alma mata songs and sayings. So we recite them and learn the traditions of years to come.

Then we are dismissed by our "sisters" but not before being told - that tomorrow we must match our sisters and be twins for the next day. My sister picked a black shirt and blue jeans. That's easy enough.

It was very nice to be included into the college traditions (ran by the students), I know we are students here, but sometimes being a "mom" seems to stand out more. For tonight, it was like being young again. an opportunity to run wild and have fun on campus.

P.S. - They assigned students to babysit...

1 comment:

Single Ma said...

Oh wow! The more you talk about this school, the more I'm loving it. As a single parent commuter student, I missed out on a lot when I was in college. I know I missed out on the FULL college experience, but that campus sounds like striking a balance for the moms is a priority. How exciting!