January 7, 2007

Food Stamps

Ok, I held out for a long time without requesting any government assistance( well I did financial aid). I receive support every 2 weeks so I thought we would be okay( ok, so I didn't qualify). We were doing just alright - but I realized something during the end of December and now January. I truly depended on the dinning hall to provide all of our meals. Now normally it does just that - I can get full breakfast, lunch and dinner. Unfortunately for me, the dinning hall was closed on December 15th. The last meal was dinner - the impact didn't hit me right away - because I went to visit and stayed with a friend in DC (and he went grocery shopping to feed my babes and I).

So I've been back to campus since around Christmas time and I've been cheffing it up since , but damn - I actually had to buy food. Ick!

So, I'm looking at these other Moms who keep using this damn card and they are eating like Kings! Um, how can I be down? Aren't we all in the same boat? So I thought! So I went through the ordeal of applying for food assistance. I went in there and supplied them with everything they needed to know about us.

So I waited and waited and finally on Thursday I receive my letter - but the envelope was a bit thin. So, I knew that couldn't be good. The freaking letter tells me that I don't qualify for food assistance because I am on the college meal plan full time. Now, when I sat with the simpleton - I told him that the dinning hall is closed for 1/2 of December and most of January. What the hell did he do wrong?

So now, I filed an appeal and waiting for my turn to tell the people exactly what I told them before. Wish me luck! My little money can only get me so far.

2 comments:

L. Marie Joseph said...

I hate to tell you, but you may have to lie a little. Never volunteer too much information.

Nevertheless, you should appeal, being a college student with a dependent should qualify you.

Tisha said...

Unfortunately the system sucks. I'm a single mommy with two little ones and living paycheck-to-paycheck myself. I do (sporadically) get child support. About a year ago I went in to apply for financial aid, anything I could qualify for. They basically laughed at me. It's the people who have more than nothing but not enough who are caught in the middle, like myself, and can't get any support.